The Following are some of the villages in Menallen Township and how they came to be:
- Buffington, founded in 1990, by the Illinois Steel Co. It was named for E.J. Buffington. Who was president of the company.
- Dearth was founded in 1907 by H.C. Frick Coke Co. It was named for the Dearth family who owned the land.
- Haddenville was founded in 1818 by Bazil Wiggins who conducted a tavern there. In 1863, it was named for Armstrong Hadden, a citizen of Uniontown.
- Keisterville was founded in 1899 by the Keister family, coal operators from Scottsdale.
- New Salem was founded in 1799 by David Arnold. It was named for Salem, Massachusetts. It was once known as Mutton town.
- Smock, also known as Colonial #1, is located partially in Redstone and Franklin.